For Home is my musical tribute to Canada. Before writing this piece, I devoted considerable thought to the question of what it meant to be Canadian; I pondered its history, its culture, and in particular my own experience as a young immigrant adjusting to life in a new world. The simple, folk-like melody which recurs throughout the brief course of this work represents my best attempt at capturing feelings too complex for words.
While composing this piece, it became clear to me that I could not convey my sense of gratitude for something so abstract without drawing on the particular. And so I drew upon my experience of meeting and falling in love with the woman who would eventually become my wife. The D major middle section of this brief work quotes from a piece of music I composed specifically for her; for us, and for our home.
- May 21, 2017 - Niagara Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Bradley Thachuk. Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto.
- June 11, 2017 - Toronto Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Lucas Waldin. Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto.
- September 23, 2017 - Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Eric Paetkau. TCU Place, Sid Buckwold Theatre, Saskatoon.
- "The piece made use of the orchestra beautifully – introducing a simple lilting melody in one section that meanders through the work and through the sections of the orchestra... The lilting, whimsical theme travels through the orchestra and is developed and harmonized richly using the entire orchestra, ending with a return to simplicity." - Anna Bekolay, Anna Bekolay's Studio
Commissions and Awards
- Jointly commissioned by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the Niagara Symphony Orchestra in commemoration of Canada's 150th Anniversary.